Skip to content

Student Support, Resources and Student Life


CEDARS, your student service and resources centre,
AND your co-curricular learning hub

The Centre of Development and Resources for Students, or more popularly known as CEDARS, is committed to fostering an intellectually stimulating and culturally diverse campus to enrich students’ total learning experience at HKU. Bridging the boundary between classroom and the world, we provide support services, resources and educational programmes to all current undergraduate and postgraduate students. 

Cedars are ornamental trees with durably scented wood and evergreen leaves; they signify growth, development and shelter which are the goals of our work for students. At CEDARS, we hope to nurture students with a durable scent of the intellect so that they are forever young and fresh.

Financial Management and Financial Assistance
Government Financial Assistance
Eligible students who need financial support to their university studies are encouraged to apply for the Tertiary Student Finance Scheme and the Non-means-tested Loan Scheme administered by the Student Finance Office
University Financial Assistance
University funds, available to local students, are in general used to supplement Government Grants and Loans. Applications are invited in early September each year. Emergency assistance is also available throughout the year.
HKUFresh$3000 is a subsidy (HK$3,000) provided to eligible local full-time undergraduates newly admitted to HKU to cover some of the immediate expenses. Applicants must be in receipt of the HKSAR Comprehensive Social Security Assistance prior to their entry into the University.
The First-in-the-Family Education (FIFE) Fund supports full-time and full-degree local undergraduate students who are the first generation of university students with financial needs to take part in different learning activities outside the classroom.
You will be introduced to all these financial options at CEDARS’ orientation talk “Financing Your University Studies”.
Residential Halls, Residential Colleges and Student Residences
Halls (mainly for undergraduate students) and Residential Colleges (for undergraduate and postgraduate students in UGC-funded programmes)

At HKU, residential education forms part of the proud tradition of the University. It is part of the education system rather than a mere provision of accommodation. As members of halls and colleges have to learn to be independent and interact closely with students of various backgrounds under the same roof, halls are a community of students seeking social and intellectual enrichment.

Undergraduate students can apply to one of the undergraduate Halls and Residential Colleges. Amongst these 17 student residences, two of them are financially and administratively independent.

HKU halls are known for their strong hall spirit. Members identify strongly with their halls. Each hall has its own tradition, culture and unique characteristics. Hall members are expected to participate in various activities.

The four HKU Residential Colleges have 1,800 places for undergraduate and postgraduate students. They have strong representations of local, mainland and overseas students. There is a lot of in-depth cultural exchange. Students have very close engagement with the neighbourhood community.

All Halls and Residential Colleges have common rooms and recreational facilities and quiet study area. Toilet facilities are communal. Other accommodation options include CEDARS-administered non-hall housing and off-campus private accommodation.

Please refer to the website of CEDARS-Campus Life Section ( for applications and other information.

The table lists out the websites of the HKU Undergraduate Halls and Residential Colleges:

Lady Ho Tung Hall91A Pokfulam
Lee Hysan Hall6B Sassoon Road
Lee Shau Kee Hall109 Pokfulam
Morrison Hall109 Pokfulam
R.C. Lee Hall6A Sassoon
Ricci Hall93 Pokfulam
Simon K.Y. Lee HallOn Main Campus (Pokfulam Road)
St. John’s College82 Pokfulam
Starr Hall91B Pokfulam
Suen Chi Sun Hall109 Pokfulam
Swire HallOn Main Campus (90 Bonham Road)
University Hall144 Pokfulam
Wei Lun Hall6D Sassoon

Residential Colleges:

  • Shun Hing College
  • Chi Sun College
  • Lap-Chee College
  • New College
9 Lung Wah
Postgraduate Student Residences

Postgraduates can apply to the following Halls and Residential Colleges. Application procedure and other details can be found at

The table lists out the websites of the HKU Postgraduate Student Residences: 

Graduate HouseAll PostgraduatesOn Main Campus (3 University Drive)
St. John’s College
(postgraduate wing)
All Postgraduates82 Pokfulam
Morrison HallUGC-funded programmes only109 Pokfulam

Residential Colleges:

  • Shun Hing College
  • Chi Sun College
  • Lap-Chee College
  • New College
UGC-funded programmes only9 Lung Wah
CEDARS-administered Non-hall Residences
Apart from Halls and Residential Colleges, the University also administers a number of flat-type residences for students.
Student Flats (Undergraduate students)
There are 12 Student Flats (72 bedspaces) at 6 Sassoon Road. Each flat accommodates eight students and is self-contained with its own air-conditioned living room, bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, washing machine and separate main entrance. It is connected to the HKU Campus Network with data ports for internet access in all rooms.
Ching Lin Terrace Residence (Undergraduate and postgraduate students)
Ching Lin Terrace Residence is a nine-storey flat-type residence, most of which features single rooms, houses 126 students. It also features 21 double-bed rooms in some selected flats for postgraduate students bringing their spouses. It is within walking distance to the Main Campus.
Mui Fong House (Postgraduate Students)
This new residence opened in August 2022. Mui Fong House is a 24-storey residence, featuring single rooms, which houses 250 students. Amenities include octopus-operated laundry and drying facilities, accessible rooms, shared pantries and lounge areas on every floor.

Jockey Club Student Village IV

Jockey Club Student Village IV is a residential complex that consists of four student residences, comprising of two 17-floor towers, and providing a total of 1,238 hostel places. The Village is administered by the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) and offers apartment-style units with all single rooms, ten single rooms in each apartment unit with shared bathroom and showers, and live-in support staff. The residences also feature open common lounge areas and pantries on each floor, and 24-hour security service. The Village is a Modular Integrated Construction (MiC) pilot project in Hong Kong and is scheduled for completion in the second quarter of 2023.
Off-Campus Private Accommodation
Privately Rented Accommodation

If you do not want to reside in the university administered student residences, you can choose to find your own apartment or share a flat with your friends or other HKU students. Information on vacant flats and rooms can be found in local newspapers, real estate agencies or from the website of CEDARS. CEDARS gathers information on rooms and flats available for renting in the vicinity of the campus. The information is posted on an intranet database where all HKU members can get access to easily. CEDARS also compiles a monthly statistical report on rental information. Guidelines on signing a tenancy agreement are listed at

As a general rule, the landlord will request the tenant to pay a two-month rental deposit and demand a contract that will last for a year or more. Places advertised in the newspapers are generally arranged by real estate agencies and they will levy a commission fee. 

HKU Home – Housing Enquiry Sessions

If you are interested in renting a flat near the University or finding a classmate to share a flat with you, visit and meet CEDARS staff at the enquiry sessions. The sessions aim to provide you with private accommodation information, gather students who want to find housemates to rent a flat together and provide information of property agencies near HKU if needed. For enquiry, please contact the CEDARS-Campus Life Section (

Careers and Placement

CEDARS-Careers and Placement Section nurtures students to become global talent with enduring capabilities to create possibilities and embrace opportunities. The team is passionate in supporting HKU students to unleash their potential in a modern workplace, to explore different career configurations and to upskill continually through diverse career-driven learning experiences. There are also seamless collaborations with employers and community partners to identify and groom future-ready graduates who bring positive impacts on different organisations in Hong Kong and beyond. 

Stay tuned to the daily emails and website for the career news, workshops and events. 

Counselling and Person Enrichment

CEDARS-Counselling and Person Enrichment Section (CEDARS-CoPE) is committed to empowering students to develop social capability and emotional resilience, to capitalise on their character strengths, and to live a fulfilling and psychologically healthy life so that they are able to achieve personal success, overcome life challenges and contribute to the community by demonstrating integrity, sensitivity and leadership. 


You are welcome to try Psychometer, an online platform of psychological tests on university adjustment, learning, social life, personality strengths, mental health etc., to gain a better self-understanding and identify ways to achieve a fruitful university life. Through these tests, you can have a more vivid self-reflection. You may use this for setting realistic goals for your university years and make practical plans for self-improvement. Visit to start your journey of self-understanding.

Language – Social Communication Enhancement

Striking up conversation with a stranger may be difficult. Pair up with your peers to brush up your language skills and enhance your confidence.

“Peer English Tutoring” connects you with a native or near-native English speaking Language Partner to practise conversational English in a stress-free environment. Spoken English is made easy by chatting about food, movies, travel and music.

“Survival Cantonese” provides practice sessions conducted by Cantonese Student Tutors to cover essential day-to-day “Survival Cantonese” phrases for non-Cantonese speakers. It is ideal for newly arrived non-Cantonese speakers. 

Support to Student Groups

CEDARS offers support to individual student societies and groups in various ways from time to time. Under the umbrella of Support to Student Groups, for a maximum of three years, supported student groups which have not registered with the University via Co-curricular Support Office (CCSO) are able to enjoy services including booking of rooms and facilities; advertising through posting on various CEDARS publicity channels; advice on financial management/strategies (not involving any financial transaction); and advice on event management. 

Tips on Adjustment

You are about to begin your university education at HKU. This transition involves some stress, but it provides opportunities for personal growth. 

Treasure any new experience as a learning opportunity and appreciate differences to enrich your university life. 

Tips on Enjoying University Life
  • Make use of your freedom and autonomy wisely: explore and experiment with caution and self-discipline.
  • Improve yourself: set realistic goals at the beginning of each semester and monitor your progress regularly.
  • Manage your time efficiently: use a daily planner to prioritise and schedule your tasks.
  • Learn actively: participate in class and dialogue with professors, discuss with peers, read and reflect.
  • Broaden your perspective: learn about local and world issues by reading news and participating in discussions and campaigns.
  • Maintain good health: exercise and relax daily, eat properly and get enough sleep.
  • Expand your social support network: make friends from all backgrounds, join student societies, participate in social activities and keep in touch with friends and family.
  • Check how well adjusted you are to university life regularly through taking assessments at Psychometer and contact CEDARS-Counselling and Person Enrichment Section (Tel: 3917 8388  / Email: when any need arises.
  • Visit for upcoming activities specially designed for first-year students.
  • Bookmark for student resources, career planning, adjustment advice, information on service opportunities, educational funds and programmes, leaders’ resources, general education and other co-curricular programmes.
Student Groups and Networks

In HKU, there are over 130 student organisations and each with distinctive objectives and functions that cater to the diverse interest of the student population. Serving from Undergraduates to Postgraduates, we have various categories of student bodies in service: Faculty and Academic Societies, Hall Students’ Associations, Sports Clubs, Cultural Clubs, Independent Clubs and Postgraduate Student Association (PGSA).

A list of student associations, clubs and societies is available at


iMAP is an online social networking platform for the HKU community exclusively. Members can search for private accommodation nearby, look for flatmates and other fellow students by interests, talent, nationality, current location and overseas experience etc. They can also stay in touch with the rest of the HKU community and share their travel experience while abroad.

University Support Under COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on many aspects of student life. Browse and share the GEARING UP website for the vital information and resources to gear up your psychological well-being, career skill sets, physical fitness and healthy living in times of COVID-19.